Bauhinia forticata | Pata de vaca | Cows foot leaf | Unha de vaca
Fresh Stock arrived December 2018 Harvest
Species: B. forticata
Common names: Brazilian Orchid Tree, Pata de Vaca, Casco de Vaca, Mororó, Pata de Boi, Unha de Boi, Unha de Vaca, Unha-de-anta
$17.00 – $55.00
- Shipping information
We sell beautiful hand picked Bauhinia forticata leaves. 100% organic.
Bauhinia forticata, known for its’ impressive powers, is native to Brazil where it has a long history of service to the local indigenous tribes. It is a small tree that can grow up to a height of 5-9 meters. Its’ leaves of 7-10cm long, resembling that of a cow’s hoof, where it derives its’ common name, Pata de Vaca. It is found growing in the tropical rainforests of Peru and Brazil, as well as the lush tropical regions of Asia, the eastern side of Paraguay and the northeastern parts of Argentina. A magnificent plant to behold, its’ flowers are what draw the most attention. They are large and drooping, white in color and are stunning. They produce seedpods, which are very similar to that of the mimosa tree.
For the Brazilian people, Bauhinia Forticata holds a special place in their herbal pharmacy, however, its traditional uses have not been well documented. For over sixty years, Bauhinia Forticata has been used to treat blood sugar disorders, as a blood cleanser and a diuretic. Made into a decoction, it has been used both internally and externally for snakebites, skin problems and elephantiasis, and has come to be known as ‘vegetable insulin’ for its’ ability to treat diabetes. In fact, it is being used in South America to balance blood sugar levels and to minimize other diabetic symptoms such as kidney disorder, urinary complications and polyuria (urinary frequency).
Since its’ more recent use and documentation, it has been gaining popularity due to its various chemical constituents. The leaves are rich in an antibacterial chemical called astragalin, along with other alkaloids, glycosides and flavonoids; one being identified as kaempferitrin, said to assist in kidney cell regeneration, as well as inducing a diuretic effect. Other chemicals found in the plant include: guanidine, heteroglycosides, kaempferitrin, organic acids, quercitrosides, rhamnose, and saponins.
Several studies have concluded and validated its traditional use in that Bauhinia Forticata significantly lowers blood sugar levels and also exhibits a profound antioxidant effect. Traditionally, the plant was prepared by infusing the leaves in hot water and drunk 3 times a day with food, if targeting high blood sugar.
Our products are not certified by the FDA neither Health Canada for human consumption. They are sold for incense and soap making purposes, decorative purposes and/or legitimate ethnobotanical research. Our products are not sold and intended for human consumption. The information given about the plants is for academic purposes only and not intended to be used medically. New Herbals, its suppliers, agents, employees and distributors cannot be held accountable for any misuse of the products offered.
We offer two types of shipping
- REGISTERED: This comes with tracking and is much faster than our Free shipping.
- FREE SHIPPING: For this service no tracking is available. It tends to be half as quick as the registered shipping.
Good to know
- All your orders are packed and shipped discreetly with only the obligatory information such as shipping and return address on the outside.
- Registered orders outside of Europe are sent with Postnl, a solid partner who hands your order over to the national postal company of your country. For instance in the US it will be USPS.
- Registered orders within Europe are sent with DPD. Fast and trackable at all time.
- Our Free shipping option is slow(er) but very reliable too. Estimated shipping time for outside Europe is between two to four weeks depending on postal flows.
- For valuable orders we would advise the Registered option.