Silene undulata | African dream roots | Silene capensis | Undela ziimhlophe
SILENE UNDULATA (AFRICAN DREAMROOT)
Origin: South Africa
Common Names: Silene capensis, African Dream Root, Undlela Ziimhlophe (White Ways/Paths), Ubulawu, Xhosa
$7.00 – $115.00
- Shipping information
Silene undulata (Silene capensis)
Silene undulata better known as African Dream Root, has been used by the shamans of the Xhosa tribe of South Africa for thousands of years.Silene undulata was particularly used for spiritual and shamanic rituals. It is revered as a sacred plant that is found growing in the river valleys of the eastern cape province of South Africa. It is known for its powerful ability to induce vivid and sometimes lucid dreams that are remembered upon waking. Furthermore Silene undulata was used by the shamans to guide their people. According to the shamans, this species of plant, also called “Undela Ziimhlophe” translates to ‘white paths’. Its effects are mild during normal waking state, however, when on e falls asleep the power of the plant awakens, inducing powerful psychic dreams.
Traditionally, Silene undulata was consumed in the morning on an empty stomach to allow the alkaloids to be absorbed into the body. Following an hour or so, it was then recommended to eat. The effects will be felt at night during sleeping. Dreams will become colorful and vibrant. This is how the shamans would commune with the world of the spirits and ancestors to receive guidance. Silene undulata has also been used in the past as a divination tool to foretell of the future and to support the tribe in maintaining a connection with the world of the unseen and invisible.
The alkaloids build up in the system. Therefore drinking the tea over multiple days will enhance the effects, particularly for individuals who are less sensitive.
The chemical constituents are thought to be triterpenoid saponins. These are sleep aids as well as viral inhibitors, is a potent antioxidant and may also help to reduce cholesterol. Very little research has been done on this plant, therefore its exact chemical makeup is still relatively unclear.
Our products are not certified by the FDA neither Health Canada for human consumption. They are sold for incense and soap making purposes, decorative purposes and/or legitimate ethnobotanical research. Our products are not sold and intended for human consumption. The information given about the plants is for academic purposes only and not intended to be used medically. New Herbals, its suppliers, agents, employees and distributors cannot be held accountable for any misuse of the products offered.
We offer two types of shipping
- REGISTERED: This comes with tracking and is much faster than our Free shipping.
- FREE SHIPPING: For this service no tracking is available. It tends to be half as quick as the registered shipping.
Good to know
- All your orders are packed and shipped discreetly with only the obligatory information such as shipping and return address on the outside.
- Registered orders outside of Europe are sent with Postnl, a solid partner who hands your order over to the national postal company of your country. For instance in the US it will be USPS.
- Registered orders within Europe are sent with DPD. Fast and trackable at all time.
- Our Free shipping option is slow(er) but very reliable too. Estimated shipping time for outside Europe is between two to four weeks depending on postal flows.
- For valuable orders we would advise the Registered option.